The world is full of millionaires. And you don’t need to be born a Kennedy or hold a high-powered Wall Street job to become one.
The truth is most self-made millionaires started right where you are — with nothing but a desire to better their lives.
The path isn’t complicated, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy. There are always setbacks and challenges along the way.
However, I firmly believe that with the right plan, anyone can become a millionaire.
This article lays out the playbook for how to become a millionaire with no money. It reveals key strategies, unique approaches, and motivational success stories — all designed to kickstart your journey from zero to wealth!
How To Become A Millionaire With No Money
Is it possible to get rich with no money? Absolutely! But remember: ordinary efforts get ordinary results. And it takes extraordinary effort to get extraordinary results.
So if you want to become a millionaire with no money, know that it requires serious action. But if you are willing to do what it takes, these 5 steps can make your dream come true.
1. Adopt A Millionaire Mindset
Mindset isn’t just another froo-froo visualization or manifestation exercise. It’s the driving force behind your actions and the unwavering determination to carry you through life’s inevitable challenges.
A millionaire mindset is essential for several reasons:
- Financial Goals: A millionaire mindset encourages you to set ambitious financial goals. Instead of settling for mediocrity, you aim for significant wealth. These goals then motivate you to take action and work diligently toward your objective.
- Persistence: Financial success usually involves overcoming challenges and obstacles. This mindset provides the mental toughness to persist rather than throw in the towel.
- Fosters A Positive Attitude: Instead of failures, you see setbacks for what they really are – learning opportunities. A positive attitude helps you maintain the confidence needed to move forward during difficult times.
- Long-Term Vision: Becoming a millionaire requires a long-term perspective. This mindset shifts your focus from short-term gains to long-term wealth-building strategies so that you can avoid mistakes borne from impatience.
- Self-Belief: Believing in your ability to achieve financial success is a hallmark of self-made millionaires. This belief empowers you to take calculated risks, explore opportunities, and stay committed to your goals.
- Abundance Mentality: Success isn’t a zero-sum game; we can all win. A millionaire mindset embraces generosity and the concept of paying it forward, leading to a fulfilling and purposeful approach to wealth accumulation.
Even if this mindset shift does not come naturally to you, you can still cultivate it with practice. To do this, try incorporating these four habits into your daily routine.
- Visualize The Future You Want: Professional athletes visualize making game-winning plays. And actors mentally rehearse before taking the stage. Becoming rich is no different. You won’t achieve it if you can’t imagine it. So take the time to visualize how your life would look if you had already achieved your goals. This psychological hack can help make your vision a reality.
- Prioritize Your Spending Habits: Be mindful of where your money is going. Nothing will sink your dream of being rich faster than out-of-control spending. Consider cutting back on non-essential purchases like that afternoon Starbucks run and redirect the savings into your retirement accounts. Just investing an extra $5 per day could compound to more than $30,000 over 10 years!
- Be Selective with Your Time: Time is the only resource you can’t get more of. So as you figure out how to become a millionaire with no money, use your time wisely. Rather than aimlessly browsing your Instagram feed, acquire new skills, attend networking events, or build your own online business. Just a few hours per week can make all the difference.
- Avoid Debt: Building wealth requires eliminating debt and shifting your focus toward saving and investing. Instead of getting a new car with a high-interest loan, explore ways to buy a reliable used car outright. The money you save on interest payments can go directly to your investments.
For real-world examples of the millionaire mindset in action, check out the following billionaires who started with little more than a vision and a powerful self-belief.
- Howard Schultz: He is the driving force behind Starbucks’ success. Howard grew up in a public housing project in Brooklyn, New York. His determination and vision turned a local coffee shop into a global phenomenon.
- Elon Musk: Musk immigrated from South Africa to Canada and worked odd jobs to put himself through school. However, his mission to change the transportation industry and travel to space led to him founding SpaceX and Tesla.
- Oprah Winfrey: Oprah worked her way up from rural poverty to become a media mogul. Her unwavering belief in herself and her dreams, combined with her commitment to empowering others, propelled her to success.
2. Stack Creative Skills
Sure, you can make money by investing in the S&P 500, but it might take decades to become a millionaire that way. A faster approach? Level up your earning capacity through skill stacking.
In other words, spend your evenings and weekends honing skills that increase your career prospects.
If you’re already savvy in graphic design, why not take a UX/UI design course? Or if you’re in sales, learning the basics of CRM software could be a game-changer.
These new skills will make you indispensable at your job, putting you on the fast track for a promotion. Plus, you might even find the confidence to launch your own consulting business.
So, if you’re wondering how to become a millionaire with no money, focus on skill stacking as a path to wealth. But don’t worry about the money right away. As your commitment to self-improvement pushes you further and further ahead of your peers… it will come!
Just because you are not pulling in a six-figure salary today doesn’t mean you can’t be a high-earner tomorrow. By strategically adding to your skill set, you are not only enhancing your current value but also setting the stage for substantial income growth down the line.
3. Put Your Money To Work
If your money isn’t making money, you won’t become a millionaire. It’s that simple. Your goal should be to invest a minimum of 15% of your income and max out your retirement accounts every year.
Then, sit back and watch what happens as you let compounding work its magic! Assuming a 10% return in the markets, just invest:
- $170 per month to become a millionaire in 40 years
- $460 per month to become a millionaire in 30 years
- $1,300 per month to become a millionaire in 20 years
- $4,500 per month to become a millionaire in 10 years
- $10,800 per month to become a millionaire in 5 years
As your income increases, don’t fall prey to lifestyle creep. Instead, boost your savings rate to 20% or 30%. (Some aggressive FIRE-hopefuls invest as much as 50% of their income every month!)
So, what are the best investments if you want to make a million dollars?
- Stocks: Investing in the stock market means buying shares in publicly traded companies. Stocks have returned more than 10% per year over the past 50 years, but they also come with market volatility. To mitigate this risk, look to build a diversified stock portfolio across different industries.
- Real Estate: More self-made millionaires earned their fortune through real estate than any other investment. Real estate offers the opportunity to generate monthly income and enjoy asset appreciation.
- Alternative Assets: Alternative assets include cryptocurrencies, precious metals, and fine art. These assets offer diversification and great returns but often come with higher risk.
No matter the asset, investing is less like lighting a firework and more like planting a tree. There won’t be any immediate “oohs” and “ahhs”, but the growth and rewards are long-lasting.
So if you really want to know how to become a millionaire with no money, you won’t find it by taking shortcuts!
Remember, money that’s easily made is easily lost. For every crypto-millionaire you hear about on social media, there are a hundred (or more) that lost everything! No matter how tempting that hot new Reddit stock tip sounds, your best bet is to stick with sound investment strategies.
Rather than chasing the next get-rich-quick idea, truly successful investing relies on staying consistent and taking a long-term view.
Warren Buffett, who bought his first stock at 11, often says his favorite holding period is forever. In fact, what most people don’t realize is that over 85% of his net worth was made after he qualified for Social Security benefits in his mid-60s!
So no matter your age, background, or financial situation, you can become a millionaire. All it takes is disciplined investing and a long-term approach.
4. Invest In Your Network
Network building isn’t a numbers game on LinkedIn.
Self-made millionaires know the real value in a network isn’t about how many people you know — it’s about surrounding yourself with the right people. So strive to connect with those who can help you turn your vision into reality!
In fact, behind any self-made billionaire, you will find a mentor who propelled them toward their dreams.
Mark Zuckerberg credits none other than Steve Jobs for turning Facebook into the global success it is today — thanks to his invaluable advice on team-building. Bill Gates praises his long-time mentor Warren Buffet for teaching him how to handle tough situations and adopt a long-term perspective.
So rather than adding contacts willy-nilly, be selective and surround yourself with people who share your vision and values.
The following strategies can help you build a powerful network, even if you’re just starting out:
- Join a mastermind.
- Identify individuals who have already accomplished your goals.
- Attend forums and workshops where industry leaders and experts congregate. Engage in conversations to get noticed.
- Reach out to prospective contacts directly on LinkedIn, email, and social media. Send a personal message that demonstrates your genuine interest and respect for their work.
But here’s the key to landing an experienced mentor – lead with value! Instead of thinking about what’s in it for you, think about what benefits you can provide them.
For example, volunteer your services for a project you know they are working on. As you contribute your time and effort, you will organically develop a stronger relationship. In time, this can lead to a valuable mentor/mentee kind of friendship, opening doors you never thought possible.
5. Leverage Technology
The fastest way to become a millionaire isn’t at a job or through investing, but by building a business. Ideally, a business that leverages technology to reach a global audience.
At The Money Maniac, we love build-once sell-twice businesses. Scalable online pursuits like software, content, or even ecommerce are the key if you want to become a millionaire in 5 years or less.
Just think of all the possibilities!
You could write a short how-to guide and then sell digital copies to thousands of readers, without ever needing to print a single book. Check out Adam Wathan, who wrote a brief e-guide about coding shortcuts and made over $61,000 in 3 days!
Or, using PlaceIt or Canva, you could create unique designs and then drop ship mugs, t-shirts, and decals, without ever touching a single product.
The beauty of building an online business lies in its accessibility and scalability. Unlike traditional brick-and-mortar setups, you’re not tied down by a lease, a large staff, or inventory hassles.
With a few clicks, you can set up a virtual storefront, market your products globally, and automate entire aspects of your business. The barriers to entry are significantly lower, and the sky’s the limit when it comes to growth potential.
The bottom line is – you can now build wealth at an exponential rate!
If you’re wondering how to become a millionaire with no money online, the following three ideas are the perfect place to start, even if you have absolutely zero prior experience.
Start A YouTube Channel
Imagine you love travel. Starting a YouTube channel lets you turn this passion into a money-making venture. By providing valuable insights, tips, and informative travel videos, you can create a thriving channel that not only feeds your inner wanderlust but also attracts sponsors, affiliate partnerships, and advertising revenue.
For inspiration, check out Casey Neistat, who has shown that anyone can learn how to become a millionaire with no money. Starting from nothing, Casey took a desire to make entertaining short videos and created a YouTube juggernaut, amassing over 12 million subscribers and racking up a staggering 3 billion views!
Create An E-Commerce Site
Launching an Amazon FBA business may be one of the quickest, easiest, and least costly ways for entrepreneurs to start their own businesses.
For as little as $500, you can tap into Amazon’s huge built-in customer base. Plus, it’s easy to scale your business into new product lines and markets as opportunities arise and customer trends evolve.
Launch A Blog
Creating a blog can help you position yourself as an authority in your niche. Just look at Jon Morrow, who loves blogging! He turned his passion for helping others launch blogs into a $12 million per year business.
But what makes his story so incredible is that Jon is paralyzed from the neck down! He uses a voice-to-text recorder to write all of his posts.
To carve out your own niche in the digital world, begin by providing content that your audience finds useful. Then, optimize your posts for SEO to rank higher in search results. As your traffic builds, you can generate income through Google Adsense, affiliate partnerships, and your own digital products.
Anyone can learn how to become a millionaire with no money… because it’s not about luck. It’s about having the right mindset and taking the right actions.
The first step is to create a vision of what you want your life to look like. Then, live within your means and invest the difference to start building wealth.
Focus on stacking skills and increasing your earning capacity. And remember that becoming a millionaire isn’t a sprint, but a marathon.
So incorporate these strategies into your daily actions until they become habits. And when the inevitable setbacks occur, don’t get discouraged. That’s the time to tap your network for support and inspiration to keep you going.
By taking positive steps every day, before you know it, you will go from no money to some money to a lot of money!
Plus, who knows? You just might become the next success story we highlight here at The Money Maniac.